7 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup Tia Maria or Frangelico
1 1/2 cups hot espresso (either freshly brewed or instant)
1 1-pound bag Italian ladyfinger cookies
5 eggs, separated, at room temperature (use pasteurized eggs if salmonella is a concern)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
17 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1. In a small bowl, stir 2 tablespoons of the sugar into the espresso and place in refrigerator to cool.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and remaining sugar in a large bowl for about 5 minutes, until the yolks are thick, glossy and light in color.
3. Clean the beaters. In another bowl, beat the egg whites into stiff peaks.
4. With a rubber spatula, stir the mascarpone into the egg yolks in small increments, mixing until smooth. Fold in the egg whites.
5. Stir the Tia Maria into the reserved espresso.
6. Dip ladyfingers one at a time into the espresso mixture, roll until just wet on all sides and place into a 9×13-inch baking dish until the bottom is covered in a single layer. Pour half of the egg mixture over the ladyfingers and spread evenly with a spatula.
7. Place a second layer of espresso-soaked ladyfingers on top of the egg mixture, then cover with remaining egg mixture and spread evenly.
8. Sift cocoa powder over the egg layer until it’s completely covered. Wrap the dish in plastic and refrigerate tiramisu overnight.
Credit: Recipe from www.ivillage.com.