With this luscious take on an all-time favorite carrot cake recipe, you can fit this dessert into a diabetic meal plan.
MAKES: 14 to 16 servings
CARB GRAMS PER SERVING: 34
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups finely* shredded carrot (about 6 medium)
1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup granulated sugar or sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute blend** equivalent to 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 recipe Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
Coarsely shredded carrot (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a 15x10x1-inch baking pan; line bottom of pan with waxed paper. Grease and lightly flour the waxed paper and the sides of the pan. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, flax seed meal, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In another large bowl, combine finely shredded carrot, eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Transfer cake to a large cutting board. Using a 2-inch round cutter, make cutouts in the cake, leaving as little space as possible between cutouts.*** You should get 28 to 32 cutouts. For each serving, place one of the cake cutouts on a serving plate. Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting atop the cake round. Top with a second cake round and about 1 tablespoon additional frosting. If desired, garnish with coarsely shredded carrot.
5. Choose Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking to substitute for the granulated sugar and Splenda® Brown Sugar Baking Blend to substitute for the brown sugar. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/2 cup granulated and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
6. PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 231 cal., 25 g carb., 186 mg sodium. Daily values: 3% calcium. Exchanges: 1.5 other carb. Carb choices: 1.5
* Be sure to finely shred the carrots to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the pan during baking.
*** If desired, save cake scraps and make parfaits by layering the cake with thawed frozen light whipped dessert topping.
Credit: Recipe and photograph are property of © Copyright 2012 , Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Service.